Official Contest Rules
NOTRE DAME CHILDREN’S CHOIR HYMN COMMISSION COMPETITION
**Clarification: Submissions not selected as the winner are fully released from any claims of copyright by the University of Notre Dame**.
BY PARTICIPATING IN THE NOTRE DAME CHILDREN’S CHOIR HYMN COMMISSION COMPETITION (the “Contest”) AND ENTERING THE CONTEST BY UPLOADING YOUR HYMN ENTRY (the “HYMN”) TO THE NOTRE DAME CHILDREN’S CHOIR WEBSITE, YOU AGREE THAT YOUR HYMN ENTRY SHALL BE GOVERNED BY THESE CONTEST RULES. THIS IS A LEGALLY BINDING CONTRACT BETWEEN YOU AND THE UNIVERSITY OF NOTRE DAME (“SPONSOR”).
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. VOID WHERE PROHIBITED BY LAW. OPEN TO LEGAL U.S. RESIDENTS CURRENTLY RESIDING IN THE 50 UNITED STATES, INCLUDING THE DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA, WHO ARE 18 YEARS OF AGE OR OLDER. VOID ELSEWHERE AND WHERE PROHIBITED BY LAW. SEE BELOW FOR ELIGIBILITY RESTRICTIONS.
1. ELIGIBILITY. Open only to legal residents of the U.S. currently residing in the 50 United States, including the District of Columbia, who are 18 years of age or older and who are valid registered entrants. You must register to enter, which is free of charge, by completing the submission form available here http://www.ndcchoir.org. The following individuals are not eligible: employees, collaborators, directors, officers and contractors of the Sponsor, its advertising, fulfillment and public relations agencies and any other agencies involved in the administration, development and fulfillment of this Contest, and the immediate family members and those living in the same households of each. Void where prohibited by law.
The person uploading the hymn will be deemed the entrant (“Entrant”). The entrant is the one person who is the authorized account holder of the e-mail address associated with that submission. One submission of a newly composed hymn per person. Limit one prize per person and/or email address.
2. CONTEST SCHEDULE. To participate in this Contest, submit a HYMN between 8:00 AM EST on January 15, 2016 and 11:59 PM EST on March 31, 2016 (“Contest Entry Period”).
3. HOW TO SUBMIT A HYMN ENTRY. To submit a PDF or JPG of your HYMN, fill out the submission form online. Review these Official Rules. By submitting your entry, you acknowledge that you accept the Official Rules of the “NOTRE DAME CHILDREN’S CHOIR HYMN COMMISSION COMPETITION." Entries that do not include all required information and do not adhere to these Official Rules will not be accepted. The Sponsor and its agencies are not responsible for misdirected or garbled entries or posting problems of any kind. Entries will not be returned.
4. SUBMISSION FORMAT AND CONTENT REQUIREMENTS.
a. Each hymn must be available in a format that is easily viewable. To ensure this, it is required that the entry be submitted as either a standard PDF or high resolution JPG file. It is preferred that music scores are typeset using a music software program such as Finale or Sibelius, however, scanned manuscripts will be accepted providing they are legible.
b. The hymn must be an original tune and text that address the theme of God’s love and our relationship with one another during times of turmoil. Put another way, in light of recent domestic and international violence, refugees searching for safety, nation warring against nation, and political divisiveness, craft a hymn text and tune that speaks to God’s all encompassing love that is made complete through connection with one another.
1 John 4:12 - No one has ever seen God: but if we love one another, God lives in us and his love is made complete in us.
The number of verses of the hymn is at the submitter’s discretion.
c. The winning composer will create a new hymn for congregational use to be led by children’s voices with organ accompaniment. The hymn must include a unison melody with descant, SATB vocal harmonization with descant preferred. The music should be in the traditional hymnic style of the Episcopal 1982 hymnal or the New English Hymnal. The text must be in English. Preferred Melody Range: D4-E5, Descant may reach A5.
d. The hymn must be suitable for performance and recording (i.e., may not be obscene or indecent, including but not limited to profanity); it must not contain defamatory statements (including but not limited to words or metaphores that are widely considered offensive to individuals of a certain race, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation or socioeconomic group), it must not include threats to any person, place, business, group or world peace, it must not invade privacy or other rights of any person, firm or entity, and it must not in any other way violate applicable laws and regulations or network standards.
e. The following dedication must appear just above or below the title of the work in all manuscript and published editions: “Commissioned by the Notre Dame Children’s Choir; Mark Doerries, Artistic Director”.
f. hymns will be reviewed for content by the Sponsor after being submitted; however, such review does not relieve you from responsibility for compliance with these Contest rules. hymns that do not comply with these Contest rules or that otherwise contain prohibited, or inappropriate content as determined by the Sponsor, in its sole discretion, will not be accepted. Hymns will not be returned and the Sponsor is under no obligation whatsoever to use or publish your hymn in any manner. The Sponsor may, in its sole discretion, refuse to accept hymns deemed to be inappropriate or otherwise non-compliant.
g. Any and all elements appearing in your hymn must be entirely original and created by you. The hymn must not contain any copyrighted works (including music or text) other than as owned and created by you or provided by the Sponsor. IF YOU USE CONTENT THAT YOU ARE NOT AUTHORIZED TO USE, YOU WILL NOT BE ENTITLED TO ENTER THIS CONTEST AND YOUR ENTRY WILL BE DISQUALIFIED.
5. YOUR REPRESENTATIONS AND WARRANTIES. By entering the contest and uploading your hymn, you:
WARRANT AND REPRESENT THAT YOU OWN ALL RIGHTS TO THE HYMN YOU ARE ENTERING;
WARRANT AND REPRESENT THAT YOU GRANT TO THE SPONSOR ALL OF THE RIGHTS OWING TO THE SPONSOR UNDER THIS AGREEMENT AND CAN MAKE WRITTEN COPIES OF SUCH PERMISSIONS AVAILABLE TO THE SPONSOR UPON REQUEST;
c. WARRANT AND REPRESENT THAT YOUR HYMN (a) IS ORIGINAL TO YOU AND HAS BEEN LEGALLY CREATED, (b) DOES NOT INFRINGE THE INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY, PRIVACY OR PUBLICITY RIGHTS OR ANY OTHER LEGAL OR MORAL RIGHTS OF ANY THIRD PARTY, OR VIOLATE APPLICABLE LAWS OR REGULATIONS; (c) HAS NOT BEEN PUBLISHED PREVIOUSLY IN ANY MEDIUM;
d. irrevocably grant to the Sponsor and its affiliates, legal representatives, assigns, agents and licensees, the unconditional and perpetual license, right and permission to reproduce, copy, transmit, publicly perform, distribute, adapt and/or otherwise use or reuse (without limitation as to when or to the number of times used), your name, address (city and state only), image, likeness and hymn, in any media now known or hereafter devised throughout the world for any purpose, without limitation, and without additional review, compensation, or approval from you or any other party.
e. forever waive any rights of privacy, intellectual property rights, and any other legal or moral rights that may preclude the Sponsor’s use of your hymn, and agrees to never sue or assert any claim against the Sponsor’s use of the hymn; and
f. agree to indemnify and hold the Sponsor and its respective affiliates, officers, directors, agents, co-branders or other partners, and any of their employees (collectively, the "Indemnitees"), harmless from any and all claims, damages, expenses, costs (including reasonable attorneys' fees) and liabilities (including settlements), brought or asserted by any third party against any of the Indemnitees due to or arising out of your hymn or your contest entry, or your conduct during and in connection with this Contest, including but not limited to trademark, copyright, or other intellectual property rights, right of publicity, right of privacy or defamation.
g. agree to release and indemnify and hold harmless the Indemnitees from any and all claims that any commercial, advertising, presentation, web content or any other material subsequently produced, presented, and/or prepared by or on behalf of the Sponsor infringes on the rights of your work as contained in the hymn.
6. JUDGING REQUIREMENTS/SELECTION OF WINNERS.
a. After the submission deadline has passed, the Sponsor will evaluate the hymns to select one (1) winner. The winner will be selected by a panel of judges consisting of church musicians, composers, scholars and staff members of the Sacred Music at Notre Dame. Selection criteria will include: success in exploring the themes of our overall Contest, artistic merit, singability, and similar criteria.
b. The winning hymn will be performed by the Notre Dame Children’s Choir at its April 30, 2016 concert, recorded, and featured on the Notre Dame Children’s Choir’s website (sma.nd.edu). The winning hymn will be considered for inclusion on the Notre Dame Children’s Choir upcoming CD publication.
c. All entrants are subject to verification by the Sponsor, and must meet all eligibility requirements before an entrant may be confirmed as a winner. The Sponsor has the sole right to decide all matters and disputes arising from this Contest and all decisions of the Sponsor are final and binding.
a. The winner will receive $600.
b. Selection of the winner is at the discretion of the Sponsor. The winner is solely responsible for any taxes on the prize. No substitution of prize is offered, except at the sole discretion of the Sponsor. Prizes are non-transferable. The Sponsor reserves the right to substitute any part of the prize with another prize of equal or greater value. The Sponsor reserves the right not to award a prize if, in its sole discretion, it determines that no entries are acceptable. Each entrant is eligible to win one prize.
8. AWARDING OF PRIZE. The winner will be notified on or about April 15, 2016. The winner will be contacted by e-mail based on the contact information provided in the submission form. The winner must execute an Affidavit of Eligibility and Publicity/Liability release within 30 days of attempted notification or prize may be forfeited. If a potential winner cannot be contacted, fails to sign and return the affidavit of eligibility and liability/publicity release within the required time period, or if the prize or prize notification is returned as undeliverable, potential winner forfeits prize.
9. GENERAL RULES. By entering this Contest, winner agrees to be bound by these Official Rules and by the decisions of the Sponsor, which decisions are final with respect to all matters relating to the Contest, including without limitation, eligibility and /or disqualification of entries. The Sponsor, in its sole discretion, may disqualify any entrant who is found to have tampered in any way with the operation of the Contest or otherwise not complied with its rules.
Before awarding of prize, selected winner will be required to sign an Affidavit of Eligibility and Liability/Publicity Release in which winner agrees, among other things, to hold harmless and indemnify the Sponsor, its member institutions, and each of their respective parents, subsidiaries, affiliates, directors, officers, governors, employees, advertising and promotions agencies, and agents (collectively the “Released Parties”) against any and all liability, damages or causes of action (however caused, named or described) with respect to or arising out of either: (i) entrant's participation in the Contest, or (ii) the receipt or use of the prizes awarded herein.
By entering this Contest, each entrant consents to the use of his/her name, image, videograph, voice, and city/state of residence for any and all publicity and advertising purposes, commercial or otherwise, in any and all media by the Sponsor or its promotional partners.
Each entrant hereby releases, waives and discharges any and all claims of damages or causes of action, including but not limited to, death, personal injury or loss or damage to property, which the entrant or any of the entrant's representatives, heirs, next of kin or assignees ("Entrant's Representatives") may have or which may hereinafter accrue to the entrant or Entrant's Representatives as a result of the entrant's participation in the Contest or the receipt or use of the prize awarded therein and which may be asserted by the entrant or Entrant's Representatives against the Released Parties.
This Contest is subject to all applicable federal, state and municipal laws and regulations. In the event the Sponsor is prevented from continuing or completing this Contest, or the integrity and/or feasibility of the Contest is undermined by any event or cause not reasonably within the Sponsor’s control, including but not limited to electronic disruption, virus, bugs, tampering, printing or production errors, or other causes beyond the Sponsor’s control that disrupt the administration, security or proper play of this Contest (“Force Majeure Event”), the Sponsor shall have the right, in its sole discretion, to abbreviate, modify, suspend, cancel or terminate the Contest without further obligation. If the Sponsor, in its discretion, elects to abbreviate the Contest, the Sponsor reserves the right, but not the obligation, to award the prize from among all valid and eligible entries received up to the time of such Force Majeure Event.
Further, the Sponsor reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to disqualify any individual deemed to be (a) tampering or attempting to tamper with the submission process or the operation of the Contest; or (b) violating these Contest rules. This Contest is offered only in the United States and is governed by the laws of the state of Indiana. All claims relating in any manner to this Contest or to any video entry must be resolved in the federal or state courts located in Indiana.
10. WINNER’S LIST/RULES REQUEST. A Winner’s List and the Official Rules of this Contest will be posted at sma.nd.edu through April 30, 2017.
11. SPONSOR: THE UNIVERSITY OF NOTRE DAME.